British couple getting married in vegas?

How would a british couple go about getting married in las vegas.would they need an american permit? How long would that take? Would it be legally binding in the uk or shall they need to sign more documents?

6 Answers

  • Hi,

    There is no residency requirement.

    UK residents can marry in Las Vegas providing you have the right documentation …

    Complete a marriage license application. You will both need to be present in order to obtain the license.

    A valid 10-year passport

    A birth certificate

    Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)

    Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower)

    Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name)

    Written consent from your parents or guardians (if either of you are under 18 years of age). If consent is given by a guardian, they must provide legal proof of guardianship.

    The marriage license application is valid for one year from the date of issue, provided the ceremony is performed in any Wedding Chapel, Church or the Civil Marriage Commissioner’s Office, by an authorised person.

    After the marriage ceremony you will receive a signed souvenir certificate of marriage to take home, and another copy will be filed with the County Clerk.

    You will need to obtain a certified copy of your Marriage Certificate (which is proof of marriage). This can be purchased from Las Vegas Wedding Bureau. You should call the Wedding Bureau in advance to clarify the necessary documentation for obtaining a certified marriage certificate. Please be aware it may take between 2-3 working days for the Wedding Bureau to obtain a certified copy of the marriage license. You can collect this by visiting in person, or by mailing in your request where it will then be sent to your home in the UK.

    Your marriage will be legal in the UK, however, as it will have been performed under USA marriage laws your marriage can not be ‘registered’ here in the UK. An exception to this is where one of the couple is a serving member of, or is attached to, the British Armed Forces at the time of the marriage. This should be discussed with the Forces prior to the marriage-taking place.

    If, however, this is not the case, provided one or both of you is a British citizen, a ‘record’ can be created for your overseas marriage by depositing the marriage certificate in the General Register Office (GRO). This record can be created at anytime after your marriage ceremony. In order to have your marriage certificate deposited you will need to specifically contact the GRO in the UK, and the British Embassy in Los Angeles, as this is not an automatic process, and state that you wish to deposit your marriage certificate with the GRO.

    The marriage certificate must first be sent from The Las Vegas Wedding Bureau to the British Embassy in Los Angeles. The British Consular General will then forward the certificate, along with an accompanying note, to the GRO in the UK. Once the documents have been received by the GRO you will be notified. The documents are then held with the GRO and from then onwards a copy of your marriage certificate can be requested, should the need arise.

    What’s the difference between a ‘registered’ and a ‘recorded’ marriage?

    When a British Citizen gets married within the UK the marriage is ‘registered’ with the GRO, but if a British Citizen gets married outside the UK the marriage can only be ‘recorded’ (deposited) with the GRO. These deposited marriage certificates are kept so that if you require a copy of your marriage certificate you can request this from the GRO, rather than having go back to the country you got married in.

    For further information contact:

    American Embassy

    24 Grosvenor Square


    W1A 1AE

    Tel: 0207 499 9000


    County Clerk’s Office

    (for your marriage licence)

    Marriage Bureau

    200 South Third Street

    Las Vegas



    Tel: 001 702 455 4415

    County Recorder’s Office

    (for copies of your marriage certificate)

    PO Box 551510

    Las Vegas



    Tel: 001 702 455 4336

    Website: Official Site of Clark County, Nevada

    Hope this helps!!!


  • 1

  • Las Vegas is just a town that’s anything for everybody therefore find it with hotelbye . Las Vegas is really a city with great attractions and some of those could be the popular Las Vegas Strip; where tourists can enjoy a go in the hot desert morning, or take a stroll downtown and see a spectacular light show that spans an entire street, the Fremont Street Experience. Readers can also get a glimpse of amazing world popular re-creations like erupting volcanoes, the Eiffel Tower and the Sphinx of Egypt in front of the various lodges and casinos. Las Vegas is really a town that continuously reinvents it self, therefore even though you have been here before you will never come to an end of fun things to do.

  • you should probably get your marriage license in the UK before you get married in Las Vegas. It may not be recognized because its from a different country. However any time you are in las vegas or the states it would be…. all a marriage is is a piece of paper signed by you your partner and a justice of the peace, or whomever you have marry you, and even then its not legalized until its sent to the proper authority. lol So if you want to celebrate is Las vegas go ahead but you may want to get that extra paper in the Uk just incase its not legal there (recognized)

  • Sometimes, letting go seems like the easiest thing to do. But think about this: you’ve invested so much of your time and energy into another person; you’ve made a solemn promise; and you still know there’s love, even if it’s hiding underneath the surface. This website will show you how to save a marriage and avoid divorce, even if you’re the only one trying

  • is sit any different if its irish and english marring in vegas as my parytner is irish we both live in ireland i read he needs a freedom form and will we need any visa or anything else ??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts